German Apple Cake
Sharon G, an old family recipe
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs
2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
½ cup orange juice
2 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
4 cups thinly sliced peeled apples
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons sugar
- Combine the first three ingredients and set aside
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar. Combine oil and orange juice and add alternatively with dry ingredients to egg mixture. Beat until smooth; add vanilla and beat well.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar over the apples and mix well.
- Pour half the batter into a greased and floured Bundt pan. Arrange the apples over the batter. Top with the remaining batter.
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 1 hour before removing from pain. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar, if desired.
Do you want YOUR recipe in the next newsletter issue? Drop off a copy of your favorite recipe at the front desk or send it in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Maybe your recipe will be featured in the newsletter.