Calories: 297 per serving
Protein: 31g per serving
Fiber: 7g per serving
- 1 lb. 95% lean ground beef (or ground white meat chicken or turkey for a healthier option)
- 1 medium onion(chopped)
- 1 medium green bell pepper(chopped)
- 1 medium jalapeño (optional, only if you like spicy chili), chopped
- 4 cloves minced, fresh garlic or 2 tsp. jarred, minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 5 oz. canned, no-salt-added or low-sodium pinto or kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 5 oz. canned, no-salt-added, or, low-sodium, diced tomatoes(undrained)
- 3/4 cup jarred salsa (lowest sodium available)
- Spray large saucepan with cooking spray. Cook beef and onion over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes, stirring constantly to break up beef. Transfer to colander and rinse with water to drain excess fat. Return beef to pan.
- Stir in bell pepper, garlic, chili powder, and cumin, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Optional – serve topped with low-fat grated cheese, a dollop of fat-free sour cream, sliced avocado, snipped cilantro or chopped green onions.
Tip: If you want 5-alarm chili, add 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Do you want YOUR recipe in the next newsletter issue? Drop off a copy of your favorite recipe at the front desk or send it in an email to email@example.com. Maybe your recipe will be featured in the newsletter.